Submitting a clear and accurate support ticket assists the Support Team in pinpointing the issue you have encountered, which can drastically reduce the time to resolution. We can address detailed, clearly-written tickets quicker and more efficiently than those which are unclear, or lack the necessary information and detailed steps to reproduce the behavior.
When submitting support tickets, the most important thing to remember is: the Support team must be able to replicate your error. For us to do this, you need to write clear and detailed reproduction steps. If we cannot reproduce the problem you are encountering, it will be very difficult to take action on the issue. Always tell us:
- who was logged on
- what buttons were pressed/actions performed that resulted in the error
- what the error is, i.e., describe the error we should see
- what device you were using, e.g. desktop, Mac/PC, phone, iPad, Android tablet.
- what browser and browser version you were using
Here are some more tips:
- Sending a screen shot that shows the error is usually a great idea.
If you are using a Window PC, the simplest way to take a screenshot on your computer is to press Windows+PrtSc on your keyboard (the browser will dim momentarily when you take the screenshot). Look for the saved screenshot under the Pictures>Screenshots folder on your computer. If you are using Windows 7 and above, you can also use the built-in Windows Snipping Tool (see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots for more details).
If you are using a Macintosh computer, the easiest way to take a screenshot of your computer is to press Shift-Command (⌘)-3. You can then find the screenshot as a .png file on your desktop. For more details on how to take a screenshot on a Macintosh computer, see How to Take a Screenshot on your Mac (this is a link to an article on the Apple support website).
- If you are not sure about your device/browser version, etc., visit http://supportdetails.com/, which automatically detects, then displays your device and browser specifications. At the top of this page, enter your name and email address, then our support address to send us a copy of your device/browser specifications. Alternatively, you can either take a screenshot of the page or download your device's specifications as a CSV or PDF file, then send it to our support address.
Write your report clearly so that anyone can sit down and reproduce your bug. Avoid using jargon or abbreviated words because the person reading the bug report may not know what you are referring to. If you have difficulty following your own steps for reproducing an issue, chances are we will find them difficult, too.
Test your issue report before submitting it. Do the steps to reproduce your issue result in the same error or issue every time? Did you forget to write down a step? Walking through an issue report before submitting it helps ensure that your report is accurate and complete and contains enough information for us to research the problem effectively.
Spending the necessary time up front to ensure that your support ticket is easy to read and that all of the pertinent information is included allows the Support Team to spend more time working on the issue itself rather than figuring out how to replicate it. It also helps you avoid the frustration of having to backtrack in order to provide missing data.